Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Isolation



I can tell you it is entirely real and possible that you can be surrounded by people regularly and still feel isolated. There are various reasons why people feel that way, one being you feel you simply have nothing in common with the people you're around!
Other times, people can make you feel isolated because they feel you have nothing in common with them.
I'd like to share with you my experience with isolation.

I've always been the one who simply didn't fit in.
I was always the one who was too something ; too tall, too skinny, too dark.
I was 'the teachers pet' in Ms Volpe's 7th grade class according to some fellow classmates and was made to feel islolated then.
I developed a mindset very early on that I'm all I have. It seems very few understood or wanted to understand me.

I've carried this feeling of isolation into my adult life in some ways.
It is important to look for the signs, as isolation can lead to depression amongst other things, again from my experience.
You may notice that a person is mostly alone, seldomly interacting with people.
You may think they are just shy or a "weirdo" but it can be more than that.

One thing that I've learned is the importance of being an ear for people when they reach out.
A person in isolation seldom reaches out, so when they do, be there for them.
I want to let you in, share my stories with you. This will be the first of my blog posts.

In my next blog post, I will address how my writing and singing saved me and is what I credit for lifting me out of a dark and dangerous path that my mind was taking me on.

Stay tuned...





No comments:

Post a Comment