Sunday, December 27, 2015

Only The Deceitful Get Riches

How is that for an attention grabbing headline?

I write that headline with a bit of sarcasm and yet there seems to be some truth to it!
Now, before we proceed, here is the definition of "riches" as defined in the dictionary, " having wealth or great possessions; abundantly supplied with resources, means, or funds;
wealthy" 
"large amounts of money and possessions"

In other words, rich is defined as having a large possession of material things. Now, there is nothing wrong with that at all, but what about how those things are achieved?
I'm very observant in work/office settings. I like to pay attention to how the hierarchy does things.
For instance, if I have a boss who has tons of money, but doesn't respect his employees or cares to stand by what his/her company says it does, then that person is poor to me.
That person however gets admiration from society because on the outside they are definition of what success looks like.
Tupac has a song titled, Changes, and there is a line where a man says,  I made a G today"
and Tupac responds, "But you made it in a sleazy way"

I want a comfortable life. I don't want to worry about rent or bills being paid. Who doesn't want that right? Money makes the world go 'round' and hell, it's how we're able to eat, BUT...
I want to achieve the things that I achieve from my knowledge and hard work and a helping hand here or there doesn't hurt, but my spirit must be at ease with all that I do.
I've walked away from more money and made less money because of the need to "sleep in  peace when day is done" (Nina Simone)
I've wondered why I am this way? Am I alone?


It would be very remiss of me to not mention that I believe "rich" first starts with a kind and giving heart.
The beautiful balance is then being able to have nice possessions but knowing you made it an upstanding way.
I will end this with lyrics to one of my songs, "I'm rich in spirit, ooh you're watching price tags"

5 comments: