Saturday, January 16, 2016

The Dark Skin Black Woman

The black woman. The dark skin black woman.
You see, in our society that is a distinction that hardly works in favor of those my complexion.
This is a topic that I have no choice to address because it's one that's definitely discussed in the press, among friends, school children and seemingly every where else.
I wish it wasn't one that I had to write about in this way.
After all, I love my dark skin. My mom taught me to love it and that stuck with me. It stuck with me even though images and voices have bombarded me and tried to convince me otherwise. 
One only need to pay attention to our representation in the media. So few who look like me on TV, but we do have Viola Davis, so I'd better shut up and be thankful.
Then again, you may have heard her acceptance speech in which she noted the lack of roles for "us"
It's a touchy subject but why run away from it or pretend it doesn't exist?

I am the very topic.
Where should I even begin? Hell, I'll just begin because in this case, it doesn't matter where the story begins.

This is one of the few topics that makes me as vulnerable as I can ever be.
"Burnt Hamburger" inspired me to write the words, "first I was tempted to hate my blackeness was in a Brooklyn middle school for my verse in the track, Hello Brooklyn. 
"You're so black"
"Black Bitch"
Yea and those words didn't only come from those another race than me.

To Be Continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment